Friends should make you feel good most of the time.
"Whenever something major happens, my BFF is the first person I call. If it’s good news, she’s excited, but if I’m upset, she helps me calm down."
Your friends should like you for who you are, and enjoy spending time with you. Here are some other signs of a good friendship:
- Having fun together
- Being happy when something good happens to them
- Wanting to help your friend when something bad happens to them
- Feeling that your friend will stick up for you
- Not worrying that your friend might share your secrets with someone else or talk about you behind your back
Am I a good friend?
Knowing how to be a good friend is part of having good, healthy friendships. Try making a list of all of the things that make you a good friend. Here are some examples:
- I am funny
- I like to have fun
- I am good at sharing my toys and books
- I stick up for my friends
When things feel wrong
While friends don’t always get along, always feeling angry or hurt in a friendship isn’t a good thing. When a friend hurts your feelings, it’s a good idea to talk it out. Some tips for a good talk:
- Wait until you are alone with the friend
- Say, “It hurt my feelings when you _____.”
- Try not to stay upset with your friend, especially if you get an apology. Your friend might not realize that they have hurt you. That’s why it’s good to be honest with your friend.
The next page is about what to do when a friend is mean to you.